Connect with us

CELEBRITY

Thai and Philippine politicians are hitting back as Taylor Swift reportedly got millions of incentives from Singapore to perform there

Published

on

Thai and Philippine politicians are hitting back as Taylor Swift reportedly got millions of incentives from Singapore to perform there

 

Singapore said economic benefits from Taylor Swift’s concerts outweigh the incentives the city-state offered the singer to perform, amid speculation about how much it paid her to secure a Southeast Asia-exclusive performance.

 

Thai and Philippine politicians are hitting back as Taylor Swift reportedly got millions of incentives from Singapore to perform there

“There has been some online speculation as to the size of the grant,” Edwin Tong, minister for culture, community and youth, told parliament on Monday. “It is not accurate and not anywhere as high as speculated, but due to business confidentiality reasons we cannot reveal the specific size of the grant or the conditions of the grant.”

Speculation over the matter gained steam online after Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said Singapore offered subsidies of up to $3 million for each concert in exchange for Swift agreeing not to perform elsewhere in the region during her Eras tour. Channel News Asia reported last week that the figure was closer to $2-$3 million in total for all six shows without specifying where it got the information from.

The economic benefits to Singapore including additional tourist arrivals and spending on entertainment and retail in the island nation are “significant” and outweigh the size of the grant, Tong said.Play Video Concert tie-ups have also helped the likes of Singapore-based United Overseas Bank Ltd. The lender, which allowed cardholders in the region to buy pre-sale tickets for popular artists like Swift and Ed Sheeran, reported a 66% surge in credit card fees to a new high of S$382 million ($284 million) in 2023.

Thailand is not the only Southeast Asian nation to voice its displeasure. A Philippine lawmaker reportedly criticized Singapore over its exclusivity deal and urged the Department of Foreign Affairs to raise the issue with Singapore’s envoy in the country. “Sour grapes,” Singapore’s former permanent secretary for foreign affairs wrote in a Facebook post. “Whenever I hear calls for Singapore to be more ‘sensitive’ to others in Southeast Asia, it really means be as inefficient as they are.” “We have to be better, faster and more creative than the competition,” he said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NFL17 hours ago

Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift Release Their Highly Anticipated Wedding Invitations, Captivating Fans Worldwide Just Days After Heartbreaking Loss to the Cowboys

NFL20 hours ago

Senate to Convene High-Stakes Trial to Determine Donald Trump’s Removal Following Congressional Impeachment Hearing Triggered by Mental Health Concerns and East Wing Demolition Scandal

NFL21 hours ago

BREAKING: Taylor Swift Partners With Feeding America to Sponsor Thousands of Thanksgiving Meals Nationwide

NFL1 day ago

Taylor Swift Fires Back at Trump’s Nationwide Deportation Push, Calling His ‘Reverse Migration’ on Thanksgiving Day Plan “A Dark and Dangerous Turning Point for America

NFL2 days ago

Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift Spotted Walking Into Upscale Dallas Restaurant in Bright Spirits for Thanksgiving Dinner, Just Hours After Chiefs’ Defeat to the Cowboys

NFL2 days ago

Taylor Swift Sends Bizarre Message to Donald Trump Amid White House Thanksgiving Day Feast and Celebration

NFL2 days ago

Fans Go Wild as Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Arrive Hand in Hand in Dallas for the Chiefs’ Highly Anticipated Thanksgiving Day Battle Against the Cowboys

NFL2 days ago

Chiefs Power Pair Travis Kelce and Patrick Mahomes Draw Massive Attention as They Arrive for a Pivotal Thanksgiving Matchup with the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium

NFL4 days ago

No Payment Dispute with ACECO, White House and Donald Trump’s Spokesperson Confirms despite Multiple Lawsuits from the Demolition Company and Supreme Court’s Emergency Injunction 

NFL5 days ago

Emergency Motion Filed to Halt Donald Trump’s Ballroom Construction After Alleged Demolition Violations by Congress and Supreme Court

NFL5 days ago

Federal Judges to Hear Emergency Bid to Halt Donald Trump’s $2 Billion East Wing Ballroom Project after multiple lawsuits and unpaid balance legal issues with ACECO

NFL5 days ago

Satellite Images Confirm Total Demolition of East Wing Offices—Built in 1902, Revamped in 1942—Fueling Democratic Demands for Documents and Fears of Asbestos Risks in Donald Trump’s Unreviewed, Privately Backed Expansion Project

Copyright © 2024 USAmidia